Mina Abdullah Refinery was built in 1958 by the American Independent Oil Company (AMINOIL) before it was fully acquired by the State of Kuwait in 1977. It was renamed “Kuwait Wafra Oil Company” as a national company before the transfer to KNPC in 1978. It had then merely one refining unit with 30,000 bpd capacity. MAB undergone expansion projects, which increased its capacity to 145,000 bpd. Then modernization project in 1988 (MAB RMP) boosted the refining conversion capabilities and its capacity to 240,000 bpd. The existing units were revamped, new units were built and the export facilities were developed. The new 15 units used the most advanced technologies at that time to produce low-sulfur and high value light petroleum products.
Production capacity 270,000 bpd of crude oil
Covers 7.835 sq. km.
Located 53 km South Kuwait, directly on the Gulf coast
Designed to refine high-sulfur heavy crude oil
27 process units and 85 storage tanks
Environment-friendly facilities for tail gas, oil sludge & wastewater treatment to achieve sustained environmental compliance.
MAB flare recovery unit is the 2nd plant in Kuwait to be registered in UN’s Clean Development Mechanism.
Built in 1958
Start production was 30,000 bpd
In 1963, production capacity increased to 145,000 bpd
After nationalization, MAB became part of KNPC in 1978
Modernized in 1988 to increase refining capacity and conversion capabilities to produce high-quality products. Acid Gas Recovery units, Atmospheric Residue Desulfurization unit, Delayed Coker unit, HCR and many other additional units were added.
The total capacity of the 2 CDUs is 270,000 bpd. The two units receive crude oil from KOC then fraction it into gas, naphtha, kerosene, diesel and HSFO.
With 40,000 bpd. It converts the bottom of the barrel residue into higher value products.
Processes 85,000 bpd of high sulfur atmospheric residue. It reduces sulfur content to 0.7%, demetallizes and removes nitrogen compounds from the Crude Unit. The process helps in upgrading the bottom of barrel. Hydrocracker Unit
Converts gasoil into LPG, naphtha and Kerosene which meet stringent quality requirements. Capacity 42,500 bpd.
The offshore facilities are used mainly for the export of crude oil, petroleum by-products and sulfur. The facilities were expanded several times to meet the increasing exports. 16 loading arms were added to the South Pier and the 3rd & 4th piers were upgraded so 4 oil tankers can dock simultaneously with 9,000 tons per hour loading capacity.
MAB uses the Sea Island as export facilities; located 5 km offshore. It has two piers, one for loading giant oil tankers up to 276,000 tons and another for 140,000 tons. Each pier has 4 arms for loading light products.
MAB produces almost all kinds of petroleum by-products, such as naphtha, kerosene, low-sulfur gas-oil, coke, fuel oil, and sulfur.